So. Many. Noodles.

Nooshi

You thought I was going to call this post something else, didn't you? Something that rhymed with noodles, maybe? I mean it would be so obvious, so easy. And it's really tempting. But fuck you. I'm not that cliche.

If you work in the Farragut area, you probably know about Nooshi. If you don't, something tells me you should go for lunch. I went for dinner, and while it was tast(e)y, it wasn't amazing. But those bowls of noodles would be perfect for a cold day in DC.

We went for a hot, muggy afternoon. By 6pm, the scene has shifted from what is probably a business crowd for lunch to something more decidedly young professional. Despite the humidity, the outdoor patio was hopping. We decided to go inside.
Drink specials at the happy hour are half-priced (if I remember correctly? Don't hold me to it. Lean would remember better than I).

Honestly, my main gripe with Nooshi is the service. When we arrived, it a was a reuniting of 3 people who hadn't seen each other in a while, and had stories to share (ok, I had just seen one of them like the week before. Still.) Our server came by 3 times in about 5 minutes to ask us if we were ready. When we replied no, she stood about 2 feet away and just hovered. The restaurant was full. I don't know how she managed to have the time to do this.
No, wait, actually I do. Because once we placed our order, the pushyness turned to downright neglect. I'm convinced there's a tort for the amount of time we were made to wait for this food, and I intend to find it.

To take the hunger-edge off we ordered some sushi. The price was reasonable - Makis are in the $4-5 range, Nigiri $2-3. I tend not to order special rolls, so for those of you into Dragon, Rainbow, Rose Petal, Seven Swords of Samurai, and other such fictitious sushi, I can't really help you out. Also, I judge you. But not too harshly. Just a lil. And the sushi itself was of good quality. It's absolutely true that sushi, everywhere, you get what you pay for. The rule is that you won't find that "amazingly cheap, amazingly good" sushi place. Nooshi is not an exception, but it's a good middle ground for cost and quality.

But you go to Nooshi for the noodles. Lots and lots of noodles. Tons of noodles. Mountains of noodles. Other words that imply many noodles. Unfortunately, some of the noodle bowls are delicious, others less so, and the only way to figure it out is to try. I can vouch for the Wonton soup's appeal. I will also warn you to stay away from the Laksa. It's one of Anthony Bourdain's favorite dishes, and I'm sure if he went to Nooshi he would tell you the same thing. Don't order the Laksa. Don't take my word for it. Take Bourdain's.
But the real appeal of the noodle bowl is that it is dirt cheap. Every single one is under $10. For the sheer quantity of noodle, Nooshi is unquestionably worth it.

-M.